Favorite Verses

     I thought I would do something a little different today and share with you some of my favorite verses and tell you a little about why they are important to me.

"Abide in Me, and I in you.  As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, unless it abides in the vine, so neither can you, unless you abide in Me."  John 15 4

     This is a command from Jesus, probably while he was talking with his disciples in the upper room.  I think this is so important to remember because we have a tendency toward self-reliance, even in our spiritual walk.  I have to remember that I am reliant on Him for everything.  At work, I can pretend that my productivity is a result of my own ability, but if I am to bear fruit eternally, it is going to be because of my relationship with the Lord.  It is of first importance.

"And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose."  Romans 8:28

     This doesn't mean that God causes all things to be good or that all things that happen to a believer are good.  I have found that if you give your problems to God that God can often bring something good about it.  At the very least, our weakness makes us more sympathetic to those who are weak.  Maybe it makes us more sensitive to our own weakness and in turn less prideful and more aware of how life can change in a moment. 

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart, And do not lean on your own understanding.  In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight."  Proverbs 3:5

     This verse was brought to my attention by my roommate in college Brett Dutton, who is now a pastor south of Houston.  Again, I think it is for the same reason as the verse I first quoted, it is of primary importance that I trust God, even when I do not see him at work.  This verse comes with a promise, that he will make the mountains in the front of me straight.

"For He delivered us from the domain of darkness, and transferred us to the kingdom of His beloved Son, in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins." Colossians 1:13-14

    The emphasis in Colossians is on the preeminence of Christ in all things.  I love the idea that we are rescued.  Like a man or woman plucked off a rooftop in  Japan, we are helpless to save ourselves.  It was He who did it.  He is the one who washes us clean.  We simply receive what he wants to give out of his love.

"And there shall no longer be any night; and they shall not have need of the light of a lamp nor the light of the sun, because the Lord God shall illumine them; and they shall reign forever and ever." Rev 22:5

    There is a lot of great things to look forward to in heaven.  I think one of those things is that things that are fearful or that cause anxiety will be gone.  Darkness represents the unknown and sin and sometimes the dark place in our own lives.  Those things will be done away with.  Sometimes it is good just to remember that this isn't all there is.

"For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourself, it is the gift of God; not as a result of works, that no one should boast."  Ephesians 2:8-9

    Again, it is always important to remember who does the saving, it is a gift.  As proud of myself as I may be sometimes I don't deserve it.  God gives it to me because he loves us.  My good works are like filthy garments in his eyes.  My best efforts do not measure up.  The grace of God is his "unmerited favor" and it is important that this is how he treats us. 

"I can do all things through Him who strengthens me."  Philippians 4:13

    I am not by nature a particularly optimistic person.  I call myself a realist, but sometimes I can get downright negative.  But, I need to remember there is a source of strength that I often leave untapped and that is the Lord.  Through Him, I can do must more than I think or imagine.  My problem is that I often try to do things on my own.

Popular posts from this blog

Some thoughts about the church in Corinth

Introduction and chapter 1 of 1 John notes

The wise men Matthew 2